Saturday, February 11, 2006

Hope


I just updated my Nature Blog. It helped me to refocus. I remember as a child being overwhelmed by the need in the world. I was bombarded by messages of how the world was in trouble- starving people, animals going extint, crime, garbage and forest fires. I seemed to get 2 messages- I was responsible and that it was too late.

I have always felt passionate about nature and animals. That is where my joy and strength are and I came to a realization, I couldn't do it all. I chose to focus on environmental education. I've been working as a natualist for about 14 years. I've seen a great deal of bad environmental education. The kind that leaves you numb and hopeless. Much of the education about global warming is done in this fashion, so is it surprising people tune it out?

There is something called Learned Helplessness. I believe this is the greatest enemy to change for the better and the way to combat it is to give hope. Yes, we need to inform people and make them see the problems, but then we must make them see there is hope. Hope is real, not an illusion; look at the the Bald Eagle or Peregrine Falcon. Drive up I-90 and see the green. Know that there are people and organizations succeeding at preserving the environment, feeding the hunger and changing the world. Remember the world is full of beauty.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eliza said...

A great, inspirational post. Thank you for sharing!
It made me think of one of my favorite quotes:
"I am only one, but still I am one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
-Edward E. Hale

10:23 AM  
Blogger Herman said...

:)

And thanks for another wonderful quote :)

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home